August 30, 2012

Be in the know about flood insurance and coverage

By : Brett Friedenburg

During the last few days the flooding from tropical storm Isaac really makes you think, Am I covered? The answer is NO. Flood isn't covered by any homeowners policy it requires a special flood policy backed by FEMA and serviced by Farm Bureau. The definition of a flood: A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of at least two or more properties (one of which is your property) from: Overflow of inland or tidal waters. Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source. Mudflow (Mudflow is defined as a river of liquid and flowing mud on the surfaces of normally dry land areas, as when earth is carried by a current of water. Other earth movements, such as landslide, slope failure, or a saturated soil mass moving by liquidity down a slope, are not mudflows.) Some causes of floods: In coastal areas floods can be caused by hurricanes, or if you live by a river or lake, floods can be caused by too much rain falling or snow melting. But in all areas torrential rains, that have no place or inadequate places to go, can cause floods. For instance, if a street drain has been blocked and a torrential rain occurs, an area can experience flooding that had never flooded before. If you have any questions about flood insurance or any of our products, please give me a call anytime. Brett E Friedenburg, LUTCF Farm Bureau Insurance Auto-Home-Life-Flood 13121 Military Trail Delray Beach, Fl 33484 561-396-3950--Office 561-498-3078--Fax